Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Coach Lewis

I woke up at 2:30 a.m. today from a dream. My youngest son wanted to take the canoe back from somewhere in what seemed to be the Florida Keys backcountry... from an island resort or outpost of sorts, across the bay to the mainland. It didn't seem like a long trip for him to manage on his own.

He'd have to go on his own because there was only room for one person and the rest of my gear. I don't know how old he was at that time. He's now 21. I didn't want him going on his own, but if he did, I wanted to make sure he at least had a life vest.

Now, I'm up because I couldn't get back to sleep, thinking about things that upon awakening were all melded together in the present in my dream-state. Celebration of Seagrove Potters, divorce with my wife, divorce of my parents, a trip to Canada to do some wilderness canoing and backpacking, a trip I took by myself in a boat across a reef and into a chanell that led to the mainland of the Keys....

My mind slowly separated all these memories and impressions and recatagorized them according to my present day reality, sort of like I do on my computer desktop with a click and a drag from the mouse.

File them away.

Coach Lewis came to mind. Bob Lewis, I think was his name, and I have two images of Coach Lewis, who helped run Fish Camp. One image is of him snapping a football forward with a powerful underhand pass during a football game at camp out in a field behind the rooms where campers slept. Coach Lewis was a strong man who helped teach football at Palmetto High School in South Miami.

He could do a push up with his arms outstretched. When he passed the football, it was like a bullet.

The other image is of him coming back into a 20-foot boat, over the bow railing after seeing his first baracuda while diving on a reef in the Keys. I was told about this, I think, so it's one of those images that the mind creates from a story. At the time of the incident, he was an excellent diver, but had never seen a large baracuda. They are quite harmless as long as you don't look like a small shiny fish, but they're quite ferocious-looking with the razor sharp teeth showing as they open and close their mouth.

Coach Lewis would lead sing-alongs at camp when the weather was too rough to go fishing or diving. He had a great way with kids. Some of the songs I remember him singing:

Music Concert (This is the music concert, from the fatherland....)
Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree (Therrrrre I held her on my knee...)

He did this bear hunt, where you mimicked the actions that he did as we all went on a bear hunt, slinging our rifles over our shoulders, stepping into our canoes, getting out and walking (pat your knees), up the hill (slower clapping of the knees), through the grass (sliding the hands together: "swish don't clap"), climbing a tree, searching the horizon, climbing down the tree, stomping over a bridge (beat your chests) and when we finally found the bear, it was in a cave and roared at us. We screamed and ran as fast as we could back to the canoe, permorming all the actions at such a rapid pace that we couldn't keep up with Coack Lewis. But he did it perfectly, and we all were in stitches by the end, as the rain came down in torrents outside the mess hall of Fish Camp.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my God. I remember Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree so well. What a blast from the past. I went on the Fish Camp Canada trip with coach Lewis to Quetico Park in 1975 and was a Fish Camp camper in 1972, 1973, 1974 and a C.I.T/Kitchen Help in 1976. I've made many trips to the keys with my three boys and always point out FISH CAMP, and tell of the awesome stories generated there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being the first to comment, Jere. Is it Jere?

    I'm not remembering you from your name. I missed that trip to Canada. I did make two trips, though. One with my brother, Rob, and one with someone whose name I can't recall. I remember Steve Hughes was on one trip. I'd love to take my children on a Canadian trip one day.

    Hope to hear some more stories. I'm trying to open this blog up so everyone can post on it, not just comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JP! Now, it comes to me. JP. That's what you were called back then, right. Do you still go by JP?

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. The memories are cloudy as it was almost 50 years ago that I too was a CIT and then counselor at Fish Camp in the early 70's. Recruited out of Miami Palmetto High by Big Jess Davis and others at my high school.Was there when we worked on the mosquito infested island building the dock,wooden paths and army surplus tents with the plywood floors.Memories of the mess hall "bug juice", navigating across to Flamingo with a compass and sticks jutting out of the water marking the way.Catching a sailfish was a great accomplishment rewarded with a steak dinner at a local restaurant. The Reef ?
    Pretty crazy they had a bunch of us kids staffing the place but we definitely caught some fish and had a great time.I still have the doubloon necklace I got as an award.
    Thanks for the memories, Mike Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. Thanks for the comments. I was too young to help with the building of the boardwalk, etc. on the island, but I certainly remember it. I did help my father sink a black pipe from the mainline to the island for fresh water. It wasn't long before a boat hit the pipe and busted it. The restaurant you went to when you caught a sailfish was called "Coral Reef." All you can eat buffet.... Me and Chad Roberts were directors when I was 18. My father had moved to North Carolina. I'd love to hear any other memories you have. Thanks. Michael Mahan

      Delete